Dining Car #4141
Dining Car #4141 was built by Pullman in 1917 for the Alabama Great Southern Railroad (A.G.S.). When built, it featured seating for 36 with 2 person tables along one side, 4 person tables along the other. It also had open windows, a clerestory roof, and ornate fixtures typical of the period.
Upgrades in 1943
In 1943 A.G.S updated 4141 with an upgrade, typical in the life cycle of a heavy weight, involved replacing the clerestory roof with a simpler, rounded roof, and air conditioning. It also sealed windows and changed the seating arrangement to 4 person tables, which expanded the seating capacity from the original 36 to 48.
Last Pullman Heavy Weight
By 1969, A.G.S. had become wholly owned by Southern Railway. Southern Railway continued operating dining car #4141, reserving it for special trains and railroad personnel, until it’s retirement in 1972. Dining Car #4141 has the distinction of being the last Pullman heavy weight dining car in service with Southern Railway. Upon it’s retirement, Southern Railway donated #4141 to the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum.