Alabama Railroad Depots
The rustic, brown-colored brick building located at 120 Mitcham Ave. easily goes unnoticed. The wooden platform is rotting and structurally unstable with various holes, missing boards, and chipped and peeling paint. Most of the wrought-iron décor is still intact, and the surrounding landscape is in disrepair. On the east side of the building, there is a plaque commemorating Jefferson Davis’ review of the Auburn Guard, made while on his way to his inauguration in 1861.
Listed on the National Register of Historic Places, the Depot served as the local passenger house & the corporate offices for the eastern division of the Memphis & Charleston Railroad. An active passenger station until 1968, the original depot building now stands as a symbol of Huntsville’s transportation history and city growth.
The mission of the Fort Payne Depot Museum is to collect, preserve and, through exhibits, educate the public about the history of the DeKalb County area. The collections fall into three broad categories: local history artifacts, including the railroad caboose, Native American artifacts, and special-interest collections.
The Stevenson Railroad Depot Museum is located at the heart of downtown Stevenson, Alabama, situated between the tracks of two major railroads. Its mission is to preserve an important part of railroading history through the display of related artifacts. In addition, the museum, which also chronicles modern times, displays hundreds of artifacts from other parts of the area's past to teach young and old alike, including artifacts recalling Native American culture, pioneer life and Civil War events.
The depot, which was built in 1872 and listed in the National Register of Historic Places, stands on the ruins of Stevenson's first railroad depot, which was built around 1852 for common use by the Nashville & Chattanooga and the Memphis & Charleston Railroads.
The Tuscumbia Railway was Alabama's first railway and first railway west of the Alleghenies. Built in 1832, the Tuscumbia Railway ran 45 miles to Tuscumbia to Decatur for cotton shipments. The depot was used frequently by one of Alabama's most famous Alabamians, Helen Keller as she lived nearby. The Tuscumbia Railway Museum is housed in the restored Tuscumbia Depot and adjacent round house.