An Exciting Outing for All Ages
The Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum offers an interesting outing for school children, church groups, senior living facilities and corporate outings! Chartered train rides are offered during dedicated departures scheduled on Thursdays during the train season. Act now to reserve your group’s spot on a relaxing one-hour train excursion through the beautiful woods of Shelby County. Learn about Alabama's rich railroad history in our Depot Museum and tour Clark Yard to discover and photograph many one-of-a-kind locomotives, cars, and equipment.
To reserve a charter during a special event, contact the museum office at (205) 668-3435 for current pricing and scheduling availability.
*Prices listed below are for non-special event charters only.
- Charters are offered on Thursdays at 10:00 AM and 11:30 AM.
- Reservations must be made at least one week prior to departure date.
- A required $200 minimum reservation fee for up to 20 passengers.
- Tickets are only $10 for each additional passenger.
- A $100 non-refundable deposit will be due at the time of reservation to hold the charter date.
- The remainder of the minimum reservation fee plus the purchase of any additional passengers’ tickets will be due on the day of the charter prior to departure.
- Checks can be made payable to:
- The Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum
- PO Box 727
- Calera, AL 35040
- Tickets will be distributed on the day of the event. Additional tickets can still be purchased on the day of the event.
- It is recommended that there be at least one adult per seven children. It is essential that each charter group plan to bring an adequate number of chaperones as we are a volunteer-based organization and cannot provide chaperones.
- We ask that all passengers arrive 45-60 minutes early to provide time to pick up tickets, use the restroom, etc.
- The train will board fifteen minutes prior to departure time.
- No food or drink may be brought on board except for bottled water and infant care items.
- The museum gallery and grounds may be available for self-guided tours.
- Picnic tables and a pavilion may be utilized as needed.