There are many opportunities to railfan in Alabama. Whether you are into model railroading, train watching, rail history, or train operations, there is a group for you!
Heart of Dixie Chapter, National Railway Historical Society (NRHS)
The Heart of Dixie Chapter of the National Railway Historical Society operates the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum in Calera, Alabama. The museum is reliant on chapter members to operate train rides, maintain track and equipment, and assist in running the business office and gift shop.There are many opportunities to lend a hand at the museum and we welcome you to join our museum family!
Memphis & Charleston Railroad Chapter, National Railway Historical Society (NRHS)
204 West 5th Street
Tuscumbia, AL 35674
Midsouth Chapter, Railway & Locomotive Historical Society (R&LHS)
Founded in 2008 as one of the newest chapters to affiliate with R&LHS, the Mid-South is headquartered in the former Southern Railway depot at Leeds, located ten miles east of Birmingham at the crossing of the Norfolk Southern’s Birmingham-Atlanta (formerly Southern Railway) and Birmingham-Columbus, GA (formerly Central of Georgia Railway) main lines.
Model Railroad Clubs
- Birmingham N Scale Model RR Club (NMRA)- Birmingham, AL
- Coosa Valley Model Railroad Club - Gadsden, AL
- Magic City Railroad Club (NMRA) - Birmingham, AL
- Wiregrass Steel Wheels (NMRA) - Hartford, AL
- MGB Model Railroad Club (NMRA)- Montgomery, AL
- Redstone Model Railroad Club -Redstone Arsenal - Huntsville, Alabama
- Smokey City Rails - Birmingham, AL
- Southwest Alabama Model Railroad Modelers (SWARM) - Mobile, AL
- Steel City Division (NMRA) - Birmingham, AL
- The Wrecking Crew (NMRA)- Birmingham, Alabama
ALRails Yahoo Group
Yahoo Group discussing all things Alabama Railroading. Moderated by Dale Burns of Dale's Alabama Rail Pics this group includes members from all over the Alabama railfan community. If you have a question about Alabama Railroad past or present, this is the group to ask!
L&N's Birmingham Mineral Belt Railway Marker Project
Project by the Midsouth Chapter R&LHS to place markers at significant spots along the L&N's Birmingham Mineral Belt Railway that once circled the city of Birmingham, connecting the mines, foundries and major rail lines.
Site by John Stewart about railroads and industries in and around Birmingham, Alabama.
Although the primary focus is Mississippi, the site has a great listing of Alabama short line and logging railroads.