Alabama Railfan Conference 2014
Announcing a new event for Alabama Railfans!
The Alabama Railfan Conference 2014 will be held on National Train Day, May 10th, at the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum! Activities will include a session featuring representatives from various railroad museums, historical societies, model railroad clubs, and social meda groups to share what their groups do as well as current project underway.
Group representatives are welcome to hand out information about their group and membership forms for those that may be interested. If you are a group representative, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org so as we may give you more details.
John Stewart from bhamrails.info will give a session on Birmingham Industrial Railroads and History.
A Subway sandwhich box lunch will be provided as well as a ride behind John and Barney Gramling's Flagg Coal #75 steam locomotive complete with a photo run by!
The event will be limited to 35 participants this year due to venue limitations.
Tickets will be $25 each and are on sale now! Check in begins at 7:45 on May 10th with the first session beginning at 8:15.
- 7:45 - Check in: Come to the picnic pavilion in the center of the parking lot to sign in and get materials for the day. Group representatives are welcome to have a small display* and handouts available at this time and to greet attendees.
- 8:15 - Opening Session: Group representatives from various rail museums, historical societies, and social media groups are welcome to give a 5-10 minute talk on what their group does and any current projects that may be of interest to the group. Group leaders please contact us after purchasing your ticket so as we can follow up with you.
- Break: Table time with group representatives at the pavilion.
- 9:45 - Session: John Stewart from bhamrails.info will give a talk about the history of Birmingham Railroads & History.
- 11:30 - Lunch: Assorted 6" Subway Sandwhiches, Chips, Cookie, & Drink.
- 12:30 - Group Photo with Flagg Coal #75 and board for 1:00 departure.
- 1:00 - Steam Excursion behind Flag Coal #75 complete with photo run-by.
*Group leaders interested in bringing a small display that would fit on a regular sized picnic table are welcome to do so along with flyers, membership applications, and handouts about your group. There will not be power located at this location and unfortunately not conducive for model train layouts of sizeable nature. The pavilion will not have anyone to attend to it during the sessions so any display that may of any value would need to be stored in your car during sessions or any other time than "table time". If you are a group representative, please let us know you plan to attend after you purchase your ticket so as we can follow up with you and answer any questions you may have. We look forward to hearing about your group!