On the museum grounds, visitors will find not one, but two restored railroad depots. Both depots have been moved from their original locations to Calera, Alabama.
One depot, previously located at Wilton, Alabama, served the Southern Railway and its predecessors. It now houses the museum and ticket office on the Museum campus.
The other fully restored depot is now the Museum’s library. It was built by the Louisville and Nashville and served the Woodlawn community in Birmingham, Alabama.
The Woodlawn Depot was built in 1904 and was located in Woodlawn, a community in Birmingham, Alabama. This building was previously known as the East Lake Freight Station or simply as the L&N Freight Depot. It is now home to the Boone Library, named for long-time member and benefactor, the late William (Bill) Boone.