RIDE THE TRAIN!
The Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum provides visitors a unique experience by linking the golden age of railroading to the present day and by describing the hard work and rich heritage of the people who built the railroads. The organization is dedicated to the preservation, restoration, and operation of historical railway equipment and to the collection, preservation and dissemination of railroad history and information through educational programs.
The Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum objectives are to inform and educate the public about:
- the historical and contemporary roles of railroads in the development of Alabama and the nation
- the past and present working environment of railroad employees
- the evolution of railroad technology and organization from 1900 to the present
- the construction, operation and maintenance of rail-related machinery and technologies, past and present
PROGRAMS & EVENTS
The Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum educates school, senior, church and other organization groups with tours of railroad exhibits in restored depots and with the opportunity to actually experience a train ride through the forests of Shelby County on six miles of operating track.
Family-friendly events such as Day Out With Thomas, Pumpkin Patch Express, and the North Pole Express throughout the year provide parents and children with a fun way to learn more about the railroad experience.
Make a Donation
Clicking the Donate Now button below, launches a window from our online fundraising partner, Mightycause . From there you can choose a convenient, predetermined, donation amount or enter your own amount.
Any Amount Matters
Here are a few examples of how donations make a difference:
- $25-Provides 5 railroad spikes for refurbished track.
- $50 Reupholsters one seat in the Long Island commuter coach.
- $100-Covers the cost of fuel for one trip.
- $150-Replaces 4 worn railroad ties.
Want to make a donation?
A donation today ensures that our collections will be preserved for generations and generations to come. By default online donations go towards our day-to-day operational costs.