The Alabama Club was built as the Pullman car Mount Gibbs between October and December 1926. The Mount Gibbs was one of thirty cars built as Plan 3521-A and Lot 4996. The cars of this plan had 10 sections and an observation lounge with an open platform on the rear.
Renamed the Alabama
During August 1938, the Pullman Company had the open platform removed from the car and picture windows installed in the ends of the car in place of the platform. At this time, the car was also renamed the Alabama. In December 1948, the Pullman Company sold the Alabama to the Louisville and Nashville Railroad, who in turn, leased the car back to Pullman.
Tavern Lounge Car No. 3050
The Alabama was withdrawn from lease in March 1954 then was rebuilt into tavern lounge car No. 3050. At this time, the name was again changed from Alabama to Alabama Club. During this rebuild, the car received a dark blue paint scheme with a grey roof and gold script lettering. The end windows that were added in 1938 were removed. After the rebuild, the lounge area had a seating capacity of 14 with the tavern section seating 24. The tavern area was separated from the bar by two etched glass partitions, one displaying the car name and the other the state capitol.
From 1960 through 1965, the Alabama Club and its sister cars, the Kentucky Club and Tennessee Club, were assigned to the Louisville and Nashville train, The Pan-American. Of the thirty cars in the lot that the Alabama Club was part of, ten were sold to the Louisville and Nashville Railroad or affiliated lines. Two of these ten cars became Louisville and Nashville office cars, one became a Chicago and Eastern Illinois office car, and three eventually became the Alabama Club, Kentucky Club, and Tennessee Club cars.
The HOD Museum purchased the Alabama Club from a private individual in the early 1990s. The Alabama Club is currently undergoing a full restoration.