Take a trip back in time as you board vintage railroad coaches restored to their former glory! The Calera & Shelby Railroad runs on a portion of the former L&N Alabama Mineral Railroad, established in 1891. Ride behind a first generation diesel-electric locomotive as you travel through the scenic forests of Shelby County.
- Departure Times: Saturdays - 10:00 a.m. & 1:00 p.m. Central
- Boarding begins 15 minutes before scheduled train departure.
- The Calera & Shelby train ride last approximately 75 minutes.
- There are no working restrooms on our vintage rail cars. Please use the restroom at the gift shop prior to boarding.
- Outside food and drinks other than bottled water are only permissible in the open air cars and are not allowed in any enclosed coach.
- Passengers may select their preferred train car at boarding. Seats are unassigned onboard the train.
- Infants under 24 months old ride free of charge, but must remain in an adult's lap at all times. For your safety, strollers and infant car seat carriers are not permitted aboard the train.
- Wheelchair accessible accommodations are available on the Long Island No. 2972 and Open Air Car No. 1121. More accessibility information is available below.
Please Arrive At Least 1 Hour Prior To Your Departure Time To:
- Pick up your tickets at the Calera Depot
- Check out the Depot Museum exhibits
- Tour our collection of railroad equipment in Clark Yard
- Visit our working Signal Garden
- Take photos
- Shop the Gift Shop, and
- Get in position to board the train.
Important Ticket Information:
Train tickets are non-refundable. However our ticket team is happy to apply any unused travel funds to a train ride at a different date/time in the same operating season (March-October).
Infants under 24 months old ride free of charge, but must remain in an adult's lap at all times. For your safety, strollers and infant car seat carriers are not permitted aboard the train.
Stay on Track!
Our team has worked hard to ensure a safe and relaxing time for your family onboard our train. Upon arrival at the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum, please stay on track by agreeing to follow all verbal directions from your car hosts and adhere to all posted safety and sanitation guidelines on the train and throughout the grounds.
Limited Accessible Seating Available:
Except for certain special events, if someone in your party needs to reserve a space for a wheelchair, please add all other passengers' tickets to your order first and at checkout, you will be asked to add the ADA space reservation to complete your order.
Our train has wheelchair accessible accommodations on the Long Island 2972 and Open Air Car 1121. Wheelchair loading and unloading only occurs at the Calera Depot using a MobiLift wheelchair lift by Adaptive Engineering Inc. We do not have wheelchair boarding capabilities at stops such as Ozan Winery or our special events "Meadow" . Note: A person in your party must be in a wheelchair to purchase this ticket. This is only a space for a wheelchair, no seat is provided.
More information about accessibility can found on our ADA Information page.
Snacks and drinks are available for purchase at our Gift Shop and during special events at the Meadow. Meadow purchases are cash only. The Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum's policy is that no food or drinks may be brought on the train. Please finish refreshments prior to boarding at the depot or Meadow. This policy also applies to any intermediate train stops where food or drinks may be sold.
There are no working restrooms on our vintage railcars. Please use the restroom at the Gift Shop prior to boarding.