A Daytime Holiday Adventure
Christmas at the Station is a newly reimagined daytime holiday event at the Heart of Dixie Railroad Museum each Saturday before Christmas in December. Bring the family for a fun-filled Christmas experience riding trains, seeing Santa, exploring a festive maze, and more on the Museum grounds!
Experience Christmas Wishes Come True
Ride the seasonally decorated Calera & Shelby train; visit Santa for a festive photo opportunity; travel the tracks of the narrow gauge steam train on the Shelby & Southern railroad; and discover what’s hiding around the corners of the Merry Maze – all included only with your Christmas Experience ticket!
For even more festive fun in the sun, be sure to wear your favorite Christmas sweater, pajamas or costume!
- Pick up your preordered tickets at the historic train depot (limited onsite ticket sales may be available)
- Enjoy Christmas décor and photo opportunities onsite
- Food vendors on the grounds will offer lunch options, drinks and snacks. No food or drinks will be served onboard. Please finish all food/drinks prior to boarding.
- Board the train at your assigned boarding area approximately 15 minutes prior to your departure time.
- Ride the seasonally decorated Calera & Shelby Railroad (30 minutes)
- Capture your own Christmas photo with Santa on the Museum grounds.
- Ride the narrow-gauge steam train on the Shelby & Southern Railroad (5-6 minutes)
- Explore the twists and turns of the cheerful Merry Maze
- Shop the giftshop for the perfect Christmas presents
Plan to arrive approximately 60 minutes prior to your scheduled train departure. Traffic is persistently unpredictable and difficult to navigate. Having some time to spare upon arrival will give you relaxed time to:
- Pick up your tickets at the red and yellow Calera Depot next to the train
- Use the restrooms at the Gift Shop, as there are no restrooms onboard the train
- Visit the food vendors on the grounds
- Take photos
- Shop the Gift Shop
- Get in position to board the train.
- Ages 2+ in all coach cars: $20
- Infants (under 24 months): Free
Which Car Should We Ride?
Each passenger car on the North Pole Express offers a unique experience for your family. There’s no wrong answer!
- Chicago & Northwestern Coach No.:
A double-ended, double-decker car, passengers board the center of the coach to access either the upper or lower C&NW-A side or the upper or lower C&NW-B side. (Seats face each other in groups of four on the lower level. Upper-level seats are side-by-side facing inward towards the center of the car)
- Frisco Coach No. 1062:
The Frisco is our most historic coach. Built in 1910, the car's beautifully decorated interior provides a traditional Christmas atmosphere from yesteryear. (Side-by-side pairs of seats all face a single direction)
- Long Island Coach No. 2972:
Known as the "party car," this large, brightly decorated car offers extra leg room between facing seats -- perfect for the little ones to dance in! (Seats face each other in groups of four to six)
- Lower Eagle & Upper Dome Coach No. 892:
This unique car offers not only comfortable Lower Level Eagle seating, but also a smaller Upper Dome level covered by a glass planetarium roof! (Lower Eagle seats face each other in groups of four. Upper Dome seats are in side-by-side pairs, all facing a single direction)
- Silver Maple No. 4741:
Relax in this 1947 former Pullman car with gently reclining cushioned seats and sparkling holiday décor. (Seats face each other in groups of four)
- “Santa Fe” No. 2823:
A sister car in appearance to the Silver Maple, enjoy your ride in this car built in 1953 with gently reclining cushioned seats classic holiday decorations. (Seats face each other in groups of four)